Pages

Monday 7 April 2014

Style Icons

My latest post about Kurt Cobain got me thinking about icons, specifically style icons. There are several names that spring to mind immediately when you think about style icons; Kate Moss, Sarah Jessica Parker, Madonna, Marilyn Monroe, Anna Wintour. Narrowing down your favourite style icons is like picking your favourite Beatles album - there are so many great ones, it's hard to choose. However, I've had a long hard think, and put together a few of my personal style icons.

Mick Jagger
No one does it better than Jagger for me. The man is 70 and still makes me want to rush out and buy a colourful blazer to wear with my all-black outfit. The main thing for me about Mick Jagger is that I genuinely just really like him, I like the fact that he was the bad boy playboy of the 60s, leaping around the stage in an Ossie Clark rhinestone jumpsuit, I like the fact that despite being rail-thin and pretty gaunt looking, he's still considered a pin-up (in my eyes anyway), and I like the fact that he still has the energy and stage presence of a man a quarter of his age.

Daphne Guinness
I'm not saying I want to wear couture head to toe every day (though I wouldn't be opposed to it), but the reason Daphne is a style icon of mine is due to her sheer bravery. I love the risks she takes because it works every single time and she always looks amazing. She's the ultimate gothic princess, who regards her clothes as armour. My fascination with Daphne started when I saw this short documentary film by Brennan Stasiewicz, which features intimate footage of Daphne at work and home.


Gwen Stefani

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember a time when Gwen Stefani wasn't my style icon. Other's have come and gone but this girl will never leave. I loved her late 90s bindi sporting, pink hair, crop top phase, I ADORED her solo career Harajuku inspired phased (I still listen to Love, Angel, Music, Baby. I won't let anyone tell me it's not a great album), and her interpretation of the modern day pin-up, with her signature peroxide blonde locks and red lips is perfection.


(Images via Vogue UKMarie ClaireGrazia)

No comments:

Post a Comment