Pages

Friday 4 April 2014

Autumn/Winter 2014-15 New York picks

Michael Kors
A theme that I thought ran though a lot of the collections from New York was comfort, still luxurious, but comfort all the same. This theme was clearer in other collections but in Michael Kors it was my favourite demonstration of it. Nothing was too fitted, it all had an element of slouch, but it was still incredibly glamourous. I also thought it was really interesting how he played with day and night wear, showing chiffon and embroidered dresses for day, and trousers for night.

Anna Sui
Anna Sui was inspired by the first Chinese-American movie star Anna May Wong, and the chinoiserie theme. I love the contrasts of the brightest colours to the deepest, most sophisticated tones in this collection. I also always enjoy any collection where you don't have to hunt for the inspiration, when it's clearly reflected in the clothes, the hair and makeup, and the styling.

Rodarte
I love the way that designer sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy draw upon childhood memories as their inspiration. The nostalgic element to this collection makes me think that this is how the sisters imagined 'grown ups' to dress when they were young. The Star Wars motif on the closing dresses are the cherry on top of this collection for me.

Marc by Marc Jacobs
Everything about this collection screamed fun and attitude and strength. It was the debut collection by Luella Bartley and Katie Hillier for the brand and they made a firm stamp on the new direction of the brand. It's a BMX team full of strong yet feminine women and I'm really excited to see where else this new creative duo will take the brand.

(Images via Vogue UK)

No comments:

Post a Comment