Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Babymetal

I was going to make a new music playlist for what I've been listening to this week, but it has solely consisted of one band. A friend introduced me to Babymetal a while back and I managed to listen politely to half a song before asking him to turn it off immediately. Bubblegum pop and metal don't mix right? Wrong! Babymetal are the new Marmite of music and I have now fully taken my stance on the 'love it' side. The band consists of three adorable Japanese girls Suzuka Nakamoto (aged 16), Moa Kikuchi (14) and Yui Mizuno (14), singing and dancing over intense heavy metal and techno beats. I'm still unsure of what made me change my mind about the kawaii metal band, but I encourage everyone to give it a chance, even if your initial reaction is one of horror. There's something really innocent about it, especially if you watch the band in action in their music videos or live performances, but then it's completely juxtaposed with the rawness and ferocity of the music. It's impossible to ignore Babymetal, the viral phenomenon caught the music industry's attention when they uploaded the music video for their single Gimmie Chocolate to YouTube and it received over 5 million views in less than 2 months. You can't deny the catchiness of the music, they really are stuck-in-your-head songs and I admire the girls because there's no way I would be able to perform to crowds of that size now, let alone when I was 14! The Japanese trio are headed to the UK in July, performing at Sonisphere Festival in Knebworth Park. I can't wait to see them in action.



No comments:

Post a Comment