Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

New fashion crush

I've been researching a lot of Hedi Slimane's photography recently. I first heard about Slimane when he created the cover artwork for Lady Gaga's 2009 album The Fame Monster. This was the album that made me fall in love with Gaga so I wanted to know everything about it. From there I discovered Slimane's photography. It's been a while since I've checked back on his latest projects but I'm enjoying them, even more so now that he is the creative director of the newly renamed Saint Laurent. Yves Saint Laurent has always been one of my favourite fashion brands as I'm a big fan of masculine dressing, especially when it's crisp and tailored and sexy.

Slimane's debut collections for the brand have clearly reflected his musical influences and I adore every bit of it. It seems like the Saint Laurent woman as Hedi Slimane sees her, is balancing the style spectrum somewhere between Kate Moss and Stevie Nicks. Perfect. Slimane has a strong affiliation with the music industry, having designed stagewear for the likes of The Rolling Stones, Jack White and David Bowie, commissioned bands to create soundtracks for catwalk shows (In The Morning by Razorlight was composed for the Dior Homme Autumn/Winter 2005/06 show), and documenting his photography of some of the biggest names in music in his photographic project Rock Diary. He continues to strengthen the brand's affiliation with the music industry in the latest campaign the Saint Laurent Music Project, an ongoing project where musicians style themselves in pieces from the Saint Laurent collections both old and new. Daft Punk, Kim Gordon, Courtney Love and (my personal favourite, which came as a bit of a surprise) Marylin Manson, are some of the musicians who have starred in the project, photographed and directed by Hedi Slimane.



HEDI SLIMANE ROCK DIARY
SAINT LAURENT MUSIC PROJECT
Images from Vogue UK

No comments:

Post a Comment