Pages

Thursday 3 April 2014

My top 10 music videos

I'm an extremely visual-minded person, and so as an avid music fan, it makes sense that I adore music videos. The combination of film and music is always really exciting for me and I music videos are a great source of inspiration to me. So on that note, I've compiled a list of my top 10 music videos. These are in a completely random order as it would be physically impossible for me to choose an order of preference. (Note: this was incredibly hard to do, there are just too many!)
  1.  Lady Gaga - Judas

  2. Director(s): Lady Gaga, Laurieann Gibson. Every music video that Lady Gaga releases is creative, controversial, stylistic and memorable. I love all of Gaga's videos (Marry the Night and Alejandro almost made this list too but I figured I'd torture myself and be forced to pick just one), but I didn't just watch this video once, I played it over and over again. There are so many details in the video you miss so much just watching it the one time. Great choreography, beautiful high contrast colours, perfectly precise hair and makeup, flawless styling, absolutely my favourite Lady Gaga video, and one of my favourite Gaga songs as well. Plus the added bonus of the lovely Norman Reedus as Judas.

  3. Bon Jovi - Always

  4. Director: Marty Callner. Yes I am aware how incredibly cheesy this video is but I am totally shameless in my love for this song. The video itself being so overdramatic and so wonderfully 90s with the wind machine tossing those golden Jon Bon Jovi locks, the random painter in his turtleneck (which doesn't stick around for long, this is the 90s, male torso was in), everything adds to an amazing rock power ballad.

  5. Slipknot -Snuff
  6. Director(s): Shawn 'Clown' Crahan, P. R. Brown. I have watched this video countless times, but it still gets me every single time. It's one of the most powerful music videos I've ever seen, it fits within enough production quality to be considered a short film. I think because people have preconceptions about Slipknot they are reluctant to watch this, but I really recommend it. It's an incredibly brave move on the part of frontman Corey Taylor, who is filmed without his trademark Slipknot mask, cross dressing and breaking down emotionally, all to the soundtrack of a hauntingly beautiful song.

  7. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Give It Away
  8. Director: Stéphane Sednaoui. Again I had trouble picking one music video out of all the great options that Red Hot Chilli Peppers provided, but there was always something about Give It Away to me. I've always been inspired by the way Sednaoui had the band painted silver, yet shot the video in black and white. There are so many elements to this fairly basic video that make it essential viewing, and you're gripped from the very first moment you see bassist Flea meditating in the desert with horns attached to his trousers.

  9. My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade
  10. Director: Samuel Bayer. I personally really miss My Chemical Romance, this period of My Chemical Romance anyway. The Black Parade is such a darkly beautiful album and it was difficult to choose between this video or the video for Famous Last Words. I remember seeing this video for the first time as an already avid fan, waiting with baited breath for the first glimpse of the new visual work of my favourite band, and I was not disappointed. 7 years, 2 albums and 1 heartbreaking breakup later, this iconic video is still just as epic today.

  11. Katy Perry - E.T.
  12. Director: Floria Sigismondi. So I'm a huge Katy Perry fan I think she's brilliant, and when she has a darker song like this, I get addicted. This video, albeit weird (gazelle legs?!), is amazing! It is a little strange at first to see Katy outside of her cute, fun, silly, pop comfort zone, but it works. She looks like an angelic, gorgeous, alien princess and I have tried in vain to recreate these incredible makeup looks countless times. Genius.

  13. Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
  14. Director: Nigel Dick. This video, not the remastered black and white cut version, has always been one of my favourite videos for as long as I can remember. Oh Axl! Oh Slash! I still feel an overwhelming need to wear a leather jacket and bandana whenever I watch this. Helps that it's one of the greatest songs of all time in my opinion. I pray this song never gets forgotten, and I'm still wanting to don a leather jacket and bandana in years to come.

  15. Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
  16. Director: Jesse Peretz. Some fun now. Surely this is on everyone's list? I think it's quite rare for a music video to be genuinely funny, a lot of time it feels like the artists are trying too hard, but not the Foo Fighters. This video is a clear example of the brilliant comedy of the Foo Fighters (I suppose appearances from funny men Jack Black and Kyle Gass of Tenacious D helps this), and it's a great parody of the classic comedy Airplay! Never fails to put a smile on my face.

  17. David Bowie - Life On Mars
  18. Director: Mick Rock. The most amazing thing about this video to me is the simplicity of it, filmed backstage at Earls Court in 1973, just David Bowie wearing a turquoise suit designed by Freddie Buretti and full-face makeup. It's the kind of look you'll see once and never forget, it proves Bowie's icon status. The minimalistic style of the video perfectly compliments such a glorious stage anthem.

  19. Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia
  20. Director: Samuel Bayer. Here in all it's epic glory is the full-length twelve minute mini-movie of Jesus Of Suburbia. This is possibly my favourite song on the American Idiot album, could even be one of my favourite Green Day songs. I love each and every part and how easily they flow together, the music video reflects that perfectly too. Even cut down to just the music, the video is still unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment