Pages

Sunday 4 May 2014

Childhood tunes

I remember a long time ago someone asking me why I like the music I like. It's quite a strange question to ask and when first asked you're not really sure how to reply but actually for me it's pretty simple and it comes down purely to my parents. Music is a very strong childhood memory for me. Whether it's dancing to Texas with my mum and my little brother, or my dad blasting out Pink Floyd throughout the house so loud you could probably hear it a street away. Obviously at that age if you'd have asked me my favourite band I was hardly likely to turn around and reply with Black Sabbath (it was the nineties and I'm a girl, hello Spice Girls). When you really start thinking about the music you heard throughout your childhood you remember a lot of interesting things. For example, I've known who Kate Bush is for as long as I can remember. I don't recall ever sitting down and listening to Kate Bush myself, or finding out who she is and what she does for my own personal gain. That is purely down to my mum playing her music around the house and singing along, and I would ask as any inquisitive child would, who it was. Then there are specific songs that I remember, Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl, Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song (my brother and I would love to do Robert Plant's "AAAAAAAAAAH AH"), Lighthouse Family's Lifted, and a huge amount of U2. My mum had the Best of 1980-1990 album by U2 and I can specifically remember without looking it up that the cover was a weird mustard colour with a sepia picture of a young boy wearing a riding helmet. Though I may be leaning more towards my dad's music taste nowadays (we once travelled to Reading to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band and most recently he joined me on the Sunday of Download Festival 2012 to see Black Sabbath), I still enjoy a dance around to George Baker's Little Green Bag with my mum, or a no holds barred mini concert with the whole family to Journey's Don't Stop Believin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment